On The Andrew Marr Show this morning, Andrew, 58, will be “away for a few weeks” as he gets admitted to hospital for surgery.
A statement from Andrew’s agent Mary Greenham said he was “expected to make a full recovery and will be returning to the airwaves soon”.
He added: “He and his family have asked for privacy at this difficult time.”
The presenter will temporarily step down from hosting the BBC show while he recovers.
Speaking on the programme, he said: “I am going to be away for a couple of weeks or so.
“I’m having a small hospital operation and I will be back as soon as I possibly can, so be kind please to whoever is sitting in this chair next week.”
A BBC spokesperson also confirmed Andrew will be absent from the show for a while, saying: “Andrew is taking a period of time off for medical reasons. We wish him well and look forward to welcoming him back on our screens soon.”
Responding to the news, Good Morning Britain host Piers Morgan wished Andrew well.
He wrote on Twitter: “This is very sad news.
“Few better or more courageous broadcasters in Britain than Andrew Marr. I wish him a successful op and speedy recovery.”
Piers’ co-host, Susanna Reid, also took to Twitter to send a supportive message to Andrew.
She said: “Sending strength to @AndrewMarr9 as he faces this latest health challenge.
“Brilliant broadcaster and one of the kindest people in the industry.”
Andrew’s latest health issue comes five years after he suffered a stroke.
The journalist spent two months in hospital and had to take a nine-month break from his Sunday show to recover.
Andrew underwent months of physiotherapy to help him walk again following the stroke.
Three months after, Andrew admitted he was “lucky to be alive”.
Appearing on The Andrew Marr Show in 2013, he said: ”I had a major stroke, I’m frankly lucky to be alive.
“I had been heavily overworking – mostly my own fault – in the year before that.
“I’d had two minor strokes, it turned out, in that year – which I hadn’t noticed.”